EM Bokashi is fermented organic material made from EM, molasses, water and an inexpensive organic (high carbon) material such as rice or wheat bran, sawdust, dried leaves, etc. The EM Bokashi will ferment the food waste, preventing it from rotting, and therefore eliminate odor or the attraction to flies.
how to make EM bokashi
- 2 buckets with easy to open lids
- EM Bokashi
- Food waste
- Sprinkle a small amount of EM Bokashi on the bottom.
- Add food waste (meat and dairy are fine, try to keep out extra moisture like, milk, etc.)
- Sprinkle EM Bokashi on the food waste enough to cover it.
- Incorporate the EM Bokashi into the new food waste to coat it with EM Bokashi.
- After the bucket is full (which generally takes one week for two-three people), let it sit, tightly closed, for at least one week to ferment. (Allowing it sit longer is fine, just make sure the materials aren’t too moist. This will cause rotting and odor.)
- After fermenting, bury the contents and cover with at least 8 inches of soil so as not to attract animals.
- After another two weeks, you can plant directly into the soil.
- Follow steps 1-6 above.
- Incorporate the materials from the bucket into your compost pile, covering with at least 8 inches of compost materials.
- Turn the compost pile as you normally would. The materials from the bucket with boost the anaerobic bacteria in your compost and add valuable vitamins, antioxidants, and amino acids to your compost materials. EM also encourages the growth of other beneficial microbes and prevents putrefaction in the compost pile.
- Check to make sure you are putting enough EM Bokashi in the bucket. You should be averaging about 3lbs. per 5 gallon bucket.
- Check to make sure the lid is always closed tightly. When air enters during the fermentation stage, unwanted microbes can enter and begin putrefying the food waste.
- Add a handful of table sugar and incorporate into the food waste. Wait a day and check for foul odor.
- It still smells. For a 5 gallon bucket, mix a small batch (one Liter) of pre-activated EM1(1:1:20) and pour into bucket. Incorporate and let it sit overnight. Bury contents or incorporate into an existing compost pile.